There is one thing we can all agree on about rats and that’s the fact that nobody wants them around. Rats are often associated with filth and disease and for this reason many homeowners go above and beyond to ensure they don’t infest their homes. Though loathed, there is so much unknown about these “cute,” long-tailed critters. Here are some interesting facts about rats that may give you a different perspective:
- The term rat generally refers to the two main species of house rats, the Norway rat and the Roof rat. Both species originated in Asia, but have spread throughout the world by human travel.
- Male rats are called bucks; Female rats are called does; and baby rats are called pups or kittens.
- A single litter of rats can contain as much as 20 babies
- Rats can live for up to 18 months, but most die before they are one year old. Pet rats, however can live as long as three years.
- Rats have excellent memories. Once they learn a route, they never forget it.
- Rats have sharp incisor teeth that are constantly growing. They chew on almost anything they can find to keep these teeth at a manageable length.
- Rats are skilled climbers. Their long tail allows them to have a very acute sense of balance.
- Rats are very social animals. They become lonely and depressed without camaraderie
- A rat’s diet is almost limitless in selection. They eat meats, grains, seeds, fruits, vegetables, etc.
- Rats can last longer than a camel without water
Even though they are often despised, they are very interesting and also very helpful. In fact, according to the Foundation of Biomedical Research, 95% of lab animals are rats or mice. They are used to for things like researching diseases, or testing medications from which we all benefit. If they infest our homes, however they can cause damage and be a nuisance.
If infestation occurs, give our experts at Critter Control® serving Fort Lauderdale a call at 954-467-6067. Ask about our guaranteed three year exclusion warranty and our lifetime warranty. Let our team of experts create a custom rat removal plan for you today.